Thursday, July 24, 2025

AI-Generated Lessons for Learning Design and Alignment

Photo by Numan Ali on Unsplash

Project Overview

  • Purpose: Evaluate an AI-generated lesson to assess alignment, rigor and effectiveness in supporting learning outcomes
  • Audience: Early learners
  • Tools Used: MagicSchool AI, ChatGPT, Google Workspace
  • Outcome: Identified strengths and gaps in AI-generated instructional content and proposed improvements to enhance alignment, rigor and engagement

Summary

This project focuses on evaluating an AI-generated lesson to determine how well it aligns with learning standards and supports meaningful learning experiences. The evaluation highlights areas of strength, identifies gaps in rigor and technology integration and provides recommendations to improve instructional effectiveness.

Magic School AI Lesson Evaluation and Reflection

I completed three accessibility courses on the OkableTech website to learn how to improve the accessibility of my blog. Based on what I learned, I updated the color contrast to enhance text readability and chose a cleaner, more accessible font. These changes ensure that all visitors, including those using assistive technology, can engage with the content more easily.

Additionally, I used a screen reader to listen to my Week 2 blog post, which took just under five minutes to complete. The content flowed well and was easy to understand when read aloud. Moving forward, I will continue to be mindful of sentence length and structure to maintain clarity and support all types of readers and listeners.

Activity 2: Lesson Evaluation and Alignment

Part 1

🔗 Magic School AI Lesson Link: https://app.magicschool.ai/tools/lesson-plan-generator?share=cc868cc4-e6d0-444c-b409-22d56949cf33

For this assignment, I utilized Magic School AI to generate a kindergarten social studies lesson titled “Homes Around the World.” The standards addressed include Oklahoma Social Studies K.2.6, K.4.1, and ISTE 1.6 Creative Communicator.

Lesson Alignment and Rigor

The lesson aligns with the content standards and includes developmentally appropriate activities such as exploring different types of homes, engaging in discussion and participating in a drawing task. However, the level of rigor can be strengthened through additional instructional support and structure.

  • Explicitly teach needs vs. wants
  • Use a structured comparison activity (e.g., Venn diagram)
  • Include a specific picture book for guidance

Technology integration was requested but not included. Tools like Seesaw could enhance engagement by allowing learners to create and explain their thinking through audio and visuals.

Connection to Instructional Framework

This learning experience aligns with the Triple E Framework by supporting engagement and enhancement. However, the Extend component is limited, as technology is not used to connect learning beyond the classroom.

AI Tool Exploration

Tool: Worksheet Generator

The Worksheet Generator in MagicSchool AI allows for customized instructional materials based on topic, grade level and standards. It supports differentiation and can be used for practice or informal assessment.

Reflection and Insights

MagicSchool AI supports efficiency, differentiation and standards-aligned planning. However, AI-generated materials require human review to ensure quality, accuracy and alignment with learner needs.

Effective AI use also requires attention to transparency, data privacy and equitable access to ensure inclusive learning experiences.

Use of AI Tools

AI tools such as ChatGPT support communication, idea development and instructional material creation, helping streamline workflows while maintaining clarity and focus.

Skills Demonstrated

  • Instructional Design
  • AI Tool Evaluation
  • Curriculum Alignment
  • Learning Experience Design
  • Content Development
  • Critical Analysis
  • Basic HTML

Impact

This project demonstrates the ability to evaluate AI-generated instructional content and improve alignment, rigor and engagement while emphasizing the importance of human oversight.

Reference

Gura, M. (2016). Make, learn, succeed.

Kolb, L. Triple E Framework

U.S. Department of Education (2023). AI and the Future of Teaching and Learning

1 comment:

  1. I love your idea of adding a Venn diagram and picture book to deepen the “Homes Around the World” lesson, it’s such a thoughtful way to boost rigor. I also agree that AI tools like Magic School are super helpful for planning, as long as we remember to stay involved and make the final calls.

    ReplyDelete

Portfolio

Hi, I’m Janeive Norman. I design clear, engaging learning experiences that support understanding, accessibility and real...